No, except your travel plans embody entry to some other country en route to these U.S. territories. You will want a sound Form I-20 and a sound unexpired Form I-ninety four. Be certain that you do not have a terminated SEVIS record indicating that you are out of status. Yes, offered that you’ve a valid visa to return and are otherwise admissible. Please note that Cuba might require you to apply for a visa in order to enter that country.

In most circumstances, CBP inspectors will allow you to reenter the United States if you’re otherwise admissible and your DSO has properly annotated your Form I-20. It is likely, nevertheless, that the CBP officer at the port of entry will send you to secondary inspection whereas they determine whether you might be eligible to return to the United States.

If USCIS has accredited your OPT you’ll be anticipated to have your EAD in hand to re-enter the United States, in addition to your Form I-20, legitimate passport and visa, and a letter of employment when you have one. If you exceed the bounds on unemployment while outdoors the United States, you will not be eligible to re-enter the United States in F-1 standing. There isn’t any guarantee that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will readmit you to the United States should you travel on a terminated document.

This part of the FAQ applies to continuing M-1 college students who travel outdoors the United States for five months or less. SEVP made each effort to offer complete solutions to those common questions. However, every particular person’s individual circumstances differ. So whereas these questions and answers function a common information, they could not present all the data you should determine whether or not it is applicable to travel or whether U.S.

Should You Travel To A Reopened State?

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will re-admit you to the United States. Please remember that the CBP officer at the port of entry decides whether to confess non-immigrants into the United States. The details and circumstances presented at the time you apply to enter are the basis of this decision. SEVP can’t assure that CBP will admit or re-admit you into the United States.

Students should seek the advice of their Designated School Official (DSO) previous to travelling. Your DSO generally works in the International Student Office. You will need to have a present SEVIS Form I-20 endorsed for travel and your DSO needs to have the ability to confirm that your SEVIS document is accurate and up-to-date. This part of the FAQ applies to continuing F-1 college students who travel outdoors the United States for five months or less.

  • Most international locations have immigration websites that provide visa information.
  • The questions above outline the overall reentry requirements for dependents.
  • If you’ve questions, seek the advice of with the DSO at your main’s faculty or seek advice from your embassy or legal advisor.
  • If you aren’t returning to your house nation, examine the requirements of the destination nation.
  • You may want an in-transit visa for countries where you’re making a connecting flight.

However, some international locations have an agreement with the United States that permits you to enter on a present passport up to the precise date of expiration. You must know your country’s guidelines for renewing passports in addition to the amount of time it’s going to take.

This process is named automated visa revalidation. You want to find out your nation’s requirements and timelines for renewing passports. Many nations will let you renew your passport whereas within the United States. The different alternative is to resume your passport if you return house for a go to.

However, your main must be sustaining status. Consult the DSO out of your main’s college to make sure your main is in standing before traveling. If you exit the United States and apply for a visa, you can not return to the United States till DoS points you a new visa. Yes, as long as you might be sustaining your status, you could legally stay within the United States with an expired F-1 or M-1 visa.


Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will readmit you to the United States. You can contact your designated college official, officers at your embassy or consulate or your authorized counsel for further help.