Discovered in 1506 by the Portuguese explorer Tristão da Cunha, it was claimed in 1816 by the British, who placed a garrison there to make sure it would not be used as a base to rescue Napoleon, imprisoned on St. Helena. In 1817, the garrison was removed, but a corporal named William Glass and his associates remained behind. They imported wives from Cape Colony (in current-day South Africa), built homes and boats from salvaged driftwood, and drafted a structure decreeing a brand new community based mostly on equality and cooperation. The Potato Patches on Tristan lie two miles from the settlement, down the island’s solely road.
A Visual Dispatch From One Of The World’s Most Remote Islands
Stopping this move of trash would require an unimaginable change within the daily habits of seven billion individuals. Caught within the reef nearby was a sight way more troubling than the bottles we … Read More